Xavier Bertou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just one (general) remark. Maybe you don't care, but I think Mandrake
> might loose some of its users going this way. I use Mandrake for some

Personally I don't care, that's for sure, but I'm in no way representative
of MandrakeSoft.

Also I don't think that losing some users is more important than educating
people about the goodness of free software.

> computers I administrate as it is easy to install and has a lot of
> things we need (such as journalized fs, etc.) out-of-the-box.
> However, I'm becoming more and more woried (ok, I'm french, still some
> work to do with my english) about some choices in Mandrake. xv is a
> standard. Removing it would do more harm that anything else. Some

A standard for what? SCO was once a standard of Unix on PC's. Solaris a
standard for Unix workstations..

xv is a standard for many Unix's, well, that's right; it's now quite of a
standard on the distrib's because at the beginning there was no
alternative.

But we have to be consistent with what we want to do, what we promote. Do
we want to build an OS, like many others do, or do we want to help
building an open source OS?

Even in MandrakeSoft, the ideas are very different; I want to precise that
my opinion is in no way the opinion of all the MandrakeSoft team; my
opinion is that Free Software (I'm not talking about Open Source Software)
is very important for people and we should promote it.

The very logical thing when an alternative to a "standard" like xv appear,
is to get rid of xv, and promote a free replacement.

Another example is StarOffice. -- it's becoming sort of a standard and we
were stuck with their proprietary file format. Fortunately it's probably
changing with the opening of their source.

[...]

> My advice would be: "leave old things alone", meaning don't modify
> things that newbie won't use. Put kterm and eterm entries, but not

Many people here want to remove twm and fvwm1 from the distrib; at least
me and Pixel want to leave it but many people are telling that we are
newbie oriented so..

..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/