Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Fine, but why are both packages needed by basesystem?  It would be easy to
> > specify a "Provides: mbr" in both packages and then to only "Requires: mbr" in
> > the basesystem SPEC file.  This way only one would be needed, and users who
> > have no problems with grub could uninstall lilo, or the other way around.
> > And actually even a "Requires: mbr" in basesystem would be bloat for the
> > users of loadlin.  I don't see why lilo *AND* grub are REQUIRED.  Having
> > one, or even none, is good enough!
> pixel ?

Thought after a ''pastaga[1]''-shot i can understand it make sense to
have both.

Actually grub is much easier bring a lot of new features and when you
take time to understand how it work you'll never want to fallback to
lilo.

But (and yes there is one but unfortunately we are not in a love story
book here) grub has some bugs we can't ignore, like the non booting on
some Adaptec cards. So we have to provides as ''fallback'' lilo to be
sure the user will boot his system.

Booting is the first and much important thing to run an operating
system to begin, so we have to make sure to this the safest as
possible.

/Chmou will one day wrote pink-love-story books/
/Pixel happy ;)/

[1]  Martini-Vodka as usual for me..
--
MandrakeSoft Inc                     http://www.chmouel.org
San-Francisco, CA USA                             --Chmouel