Hi Tom,

First of all, this is my opinion, not mandrake's ;-).

> I've just noticed that there is a directory for the sparc port of the 7.2 beta
> at the following address:

> http://rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-devel/7.2beta/sparc/

> Does this mean that those of us on the Ultrasparcs and the sparcs will be
> getting a port?
That could be possible. It's been done befor on 7.0 and 7.1, but during
the development of the next release the focus is on x86 (for obvious
reasons).

Now, what you could do is the following (if you have a spare machine and
way too much time on your hands):
- Install the 7.1 release of mandrake's sparc distro;
- mirror the current cooker (or 7.2b) SRPMS;
- start systematically rebuilding and updating your system to the
current cooker (or 7.2b) distro (I'll help you out with a few scripts
that can make life easier);
- report bugs to the cooker list.

Of course only a mad man would do something like that ;-)

> I haven't heard anything about it so far, but I don't read a
> lot of the cooker messages because they are mostly about the PC port - I let my
> mail filters look for references to "sparc" and read those.  Unfortunately,
> there are very few of those to come through here.
True. The alpha port gets a bit more exposure since a mad dutchman is
working on that (sort-of).

> Can anyone at LM tell me if there's going to be a port of this in the near
> future? I'm really interested.
Chmoeul, Pixel?

Stefan