On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Tim McKenzie wrote:

> > Is your working system fully constituted of free drivers?
> >

> > --
> > Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
> > http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/
> >
> Guillaume,
>     If Red Hat can set up NVidia cards as new as the GeForce2, what would be
> the problem with Mandrake doing the same? Is there a difference in policy
> between the two companies that I am not aware of? I know the RH beta 6.9.5
> sets up NVidia cards... If there is some sort of difference in oppinion
> between the companies, I guess there's not much anyone can do without
> changing policies. Does anyone have any feedback on this?
>
> Tim McKenzie
> Appalachian State University
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The problem is that NVidia makes and supports (Well, maybe they don't
support them) their own BINARY drivers.  Thus Mandrake cannot do anything
with the actual code.  They may be allowed (by special agreement I am
guessing, since you have to agree to a license agreement to download the
drivers from NVidia) to include the drives, but Mandrake cannot support,
maintain, or do anything with the drivers.  If NVidia should open up their
code, it would be a different story.

--
Nick Webb