Tim McKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> Guillaume,
>     If Red Hat can set up NVidia cards as new as the GeForce2, what
> would be the problem with Mandrake doing the same? Is there a difference

Frankly, knowing that Redhat is doing it is not enough. Hopefully they
have proved a lot of times, either by words and by actions, that they
support the free software movement.

Now, is it enough to trust any of their actions? I'm not sure. Do they
have special agreement to include non-free drivers on their commercial CD?
Maybe.. To be 100% exact, we MandrakeSoft *are* in discussions with nvidia
to study the possibility of including their drivers on our commercial CD,
just as we include commercial stuff like Acrobat Reader and so on.

> in policy between the two companies that I am not aware of? I know the
> RH beta 6.9.5 sets up NVidia cards... If there is some sort of
> difference in oppinion between the companies, I guess there's not much
> anyone can do without changing policies. Does anyone have any feedback
> on this?

We do setup nvidia cards. We just don't do it in a 3d-accelerated way.
Francois studied the possibility of using acceleration provided by
utah-glx for XFree-3 [which code comes from nvidia, at the time where they
released a restricted driver [no DMA support if my memory is exact] as
free software], but it is quite buggy and the test machines were
constantly hanging. So as of the LM-7.2 it is disactivated.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/