Stefan van der Eijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> What frightens me is that one day I'm going to compile kdelibs on my
> alpha (if Troll ever gets qt2 ported to _modern_ alpha system, not a 2
> year old RedHat 5.2). What's going to happen then? Alpha's are a bit
> more memory hungry than x86, good chance it might even starve Mandrake's
> 1Gb alpha box.

Alpha opts are currently set up to -O2 maybe this will not fail :-).

> Is it rediculous to ask the following: which specifications must the
> machine of a developper (or idiot that tries to help) be? Shouldn't
> 128Mb in an x86 box be enough nowadays? How much does the -O3 help
> speedup kdelibs over an -O2 or -O1? Can the "heavy optimalisation" be
> commented out during development & turned on just before release
> (damn... we're there already, just B4 release...)?

Actually you know that optimizition sometimes break out things -- and now
that we have real fast machines (when they are up) it's really not a pain
to produce highly optimized rpm's.

If you don't want them, just modify /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc according to your
needs. Removing the -O stuff will lead to real fast (and succesful
hopefully) builds..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/