On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> At 11 October, 2000 Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> > Mattias Eriksson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Does this means that you are not going to release another stable
> > > release of Mandrake before gcc-3.0 is released? Or does it mean that
> > > you are kicking the gcc developers in the groin and release the next
> > > Mandrake release with gcc-2.96?
> >
> > It mean we going to take a highly patched/fixed/modified version of
> > gcc2.96 if gcc3.0 is not ready, we going to usethe save version that the
> > leader has, period.
>
> OK, so what you are saying is that by introducing gcc-2.96 you are
> prepaired to do the same thing as RedHat and release a gcc snapshot as the
> stable compiler in a Mandrake release against the recomendations from the
> gcc developers.
>
> I cant see what cooker and in the long run Mandrake would gain from this.
> What I can see is that alot of people that is just running some packages
> from cooker, while still prefering to use stable core libs cant continue to
> use any cooker software. This probably means a lot less testing and in the
> worst case bad stable releases.
>

> //Snaggen, runs just partial cooker... and will NEVER use a gcc-2.96
> compiler!

Initially 7.2 had 2.96 I guess, but they took it out and put 2.95 back in
after noticing the problem, cooker is aiming towards 7.3 now or 8.0
(whatever) and that version will most likely have gcc3.0, having 2.96 in
cooker is preparing for having 3.0 in the next release after 7.2.

I'm personally going to stick with the 7.2 until cooker get's closer to
release and has a later version of GCC, as much as I love to play with the
new toys I don't need the headache of 2.96's problems. No biggie, cooker
isn't for everyday use anyway.