Mattias Eriksson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ok, I have asked several times about when they plan to release gcc-3.0 and
> haven't got one single reply that might even look like an answer to that. From
> that I assume that people simply dont know. Still, they are claiming that we
> must get prepaired for it!

as for _every_ software, nobody know the release date but everybody kwow that
it'll be released when it'll be ready.

> The fact that they don't have a clue about when it's comming makes this
> argument just plain BULL SHIT!
>
> This means that the real reason to switch to gcc 3.0 is that "big brother"
> RedHat did so, and Mandrake doesn't dare to do anything different from
> "big brother".

AFAIC, the main argument to switch is the better C++ support.
And don't come cry 'they broke c++ ABI'. in past, for each new libstdc++
release, we've had to recompile all C++ rpms else they broke after a few
libstdc++ releases.

Yes we don't care of being diffenret from big brother: coherent menu tree,
same menu tree among all wm, alternatives, rpmdrake, drakxtools, MandrakeUpdate,
DrakX, DiskDrake, Linux4zindoz, harddrake, msec, ...

And as for us, we _never_ release a distro with gcc-2.96.

> I think that as long as the gcc developers are against using gcc 2.96 I dont
> think Mandrake should. If the gcc developers claim that you dont gain anything
> from using gcc and that they dont recomend it. I belive them, they should know.

the fact is that we don't just use a CVS snapshot of gcc but a snapshot + 90
patches which fix nearly all known bugs.

please, stop flaming us but for providing a piece of code that doesn't
compile with cooker'gcc but obviously should. Then we'll fix gcc.