On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 02:02:01PM +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

> > > False. Faster EIDE drives gives you ~40Mb/sec while edge SCSI ones
> > > deliver up to 65Mo/sec.
> >
> > Okay, you're about right.  But the performance difference is really slim.
>
> when you can put 6 scsi disks in a raid0, it makes a difference against
> eide which can only use 2 (4 on new raid66/100 motherboards) disks
> because of the silly master/slave hierarchy.

Well, sort of.  IF Promise were supported (Note: I "blame" Promise for
this), you could easily put in another controller.  Then you'd have 8
drives.  If that's still not enough put in another controller, if you still
have pci slots left :-) to get 12.

No, SCSI doesn't make sense for the average user.  And this is the last I'm
gonna say (unless somebody makes a terribly stupid remark :])

> i agree with you: for the price of 20Gb SCSI drive, one can buy a score
> of 45Gb EIDE drives :-)

That's it.  And you can also easily afford another computer to hold all the
drives and connect them thru a LAN.  And if you are going to do this, you
won't need those super-hi-speed drives as you won't get more than ~10MB/s
through the LAN anyway with 100 MBit/s.

EOT for me

Alexander Skwar
--
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com | http://www.dp.ath.cx
Sichere Mail?   Mail an [EMAIL PROTECTED] fuer GnuPG Keys