    J> I know, I understand the GPL but the GPL doesn't give someone
    J> else the right to take a product and claim it's a different
    J> version and sell it.

What about Linux One taking the RH IPO and simply changing all
occurances of Red Hat to read Linux One.  Also, when I buy a CD from
Cheap Bytes, LSL or Linux Mall, it may not be the release Mandrake,
and is certainly missing files (Mdk 7.1 asked for disk 3 out of 2)
but that is all part of what is beautiful about the GPL.

I'm not endorsing anyone's action, just pointing out the reality of
the GPL.  Mandrake is somewhat unique in giving access to pre-release
distros and thus it is the danger we take in being so open.  All that
is required is (a) that MandrakeUpdate work really well and (b)
public education, the same way Red Hat tries to tell people there is
value in having an 'official' Red Hat.

As someone who has been in the business world for 25 years, I am a
little curious to see what will happen as the GPL moves into the
mainstream and starts attracting people who do not "play by the
rules".  Many of the guarantees of freedom in the GPL are dangerous
when people do not behave according to the ethics of open source
culture, and within that culture, none of these rules are ever tested
for fear of community backlash (these 'taboos' are covered in
Cathedral and the Bazaar).

Having worked in the music publishing industry, I know first hand that
there are people in this world who do not play by the rules. For
example, organized crime loves to make huge profits from other
people's work and when you buy CDs in a 'discount' store, watch the
packaging carefully for sub-standard cover reproductions as your first
clue.

For Mandrakesoft to place any enforced copyright and restrictions of
all distribution of their package could limit other freedoms, so I am
basically in support of the status quo and recommend we plan for such
'indiscretions' rather than bitch about them or take expensive legal
action that might backfire.  Do we really want to get into policing
for "Mandrake certified" releases?

Remember as well that this move is no different than Red Hat including
a GCC which is not endorsed by the GCC group, but which was necessary
for Red Hat to meet their customer demands and schedules.  GPL gives
us the freedom to do this and puts the final responsibility on the
consumer where it should be.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com