from the quill of James Sutherland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on scroll
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> That's the policy my cable co runs, more or less: no "public" servers
> (no
> anon-FTP etc), but SSH, FTP (users only), password-protected WWW etc
> is
> fine. Seems reasonable, IMO.

Why does it sound reasonable?  You are paying for bandwidth.  Why should
you tolerate being told what you can do with it?

Next, when they start telling you what web sites you can and can't visit
with the bandwidth you are paying for, is that going to "sound
reasonable"?  OK, maybe that one is far fetched.  But this is not:  When
you try to use your paid for bandwidth to receive constantly streaming
content (say streaming video) and they elminate that from the allowable
use is that going to "sound reasonable"?

The problem is that your cable co. has over-subscribed their customers
to the bandwidth they are providing and now they are back-peddling to
try to fix the problem.  This over-subscription is called fraud in other
businesses.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell