on 10/31/00 9:43 PM, Vincent Danen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is disgusting.  Think about what you're saying here.  We're
> comparing a small company of just over 100 employees to a software
> monopoly.  If anyone can afford to ignore marketing time tables for
> stable products, it should be Microsoft.

Yeah, but the point is that MS bases their shipping dates (read: shipping
based on dates, not software completion) on marketing factors, and it
appears Mandrake did the same.

Yes, granted, they believe that the difference between RC1 and Final is not
significant enough, but the fact remains that the box misrepresents this.

> You know, it's all nice and dandy that people say that MandrakeSoft
> should not release a product with bugs in it but, realistically, that
> will never happen.

It has nothing to do with buddy product - albeit that's one issues as well -
but representing a not-ready product as a final in a retail box that implies
this.

This could have been avoided by an announcement to the list BEFORE people
shopping at WalMart discovered this, as well as an appropriate sticker on
the WalMart packaging like "Contains version 7.2rc1. Update your package
with a free dwnload from MandrakeSoft."

> Unfortunately, people don't realize that all 100+ employees of
> MandrakeSoft need to eat as well and not all of us can work for free
> to create this quality distribution for you.

There is nothing wrong with that, and again, this has nothing to do with the
necessity of having to hit a delivery window.

Harry