On Friday 10 November 2000 17:28, Alexander Skwar wrote:
|   So sprach Sam am Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 01:59:18PM +0000:
|   > You're in charge of marketing- which has more brand recognition as
|   > included package on the side of your box- Mozilla, Netscape or
|   > Konqueror. I think the answers obvious.
|
|   To get real, I'd also vote against using Mozilla as the default browser
| in Mandrake.  While Mozilla is really fine (I use it a lot), Sam's reasons
| against Mozilla are very true.  Right now I'd suggest to include all 3
| browsers:

1) Konqueror 2.1
and, may be, if there is so strong demand from -wide masses_,
2)   - netscape-old (4.76)
3)  - netscape (6.0)
4)   - netscape-hack (Mozilla)

|   And all those three browsers should be in the main distribution.
| Netscape old should be included, because it's known to work (well, sort of
| anyway

Konqueror, as the fastest one at a moment.

|   :]), and because users from other Unix systems (Unix, not Linux!) are

Konqueror, as *BSD users already got used to it :-)

|   probably very much more used to Netscape 4.x than to anything else as a
|   browser.  netscape 6 should be in, because it's the newest and greatest.
<cut>
|   Alexander Skwar

I believe that Mandrake can also include on Commercial CD  (like Guillaume
wrote about NVidia binary drivers) for LM 8.0 - Microsoft IE for Linux.
If we speak about freedom of choice, this option should also be considered.
Look at work which Mainsoft does for MS (www.mainsoft.com). Win32 API is
ported to UNIX, they are cleaning up some particular platform compatibility.
Estimated time of this wonder to arrive - Q1'2000. So let's say realisticaly
speaking April or May 2000.
Key priority for MS now - Media Player (as part of MS IE6) on all platforms.
It will answer somebody's request on this list - how to listen/view Windows
Media on Linux...
/and I don't mind this effort from MS side - RealAudio/Video is also closed
standard... may be this move will awake Real and they will open-source their
standards...And Apple's QuickTime is pretty closed as well./
Don't be offended by quoting this info here, I think it's better to know what
MS is preparing...
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)