----- Original Message -----
From: "Guillaume Cottenceau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Godin, Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Xfree 4.0.2

> We can't do everything.
>
> We do use MandrakeUpdate for security updates. It already costs resources
> because changing something means:
>
> - doing it for a number of old distribs (7.2, 7.1, 7.0, 6.1)
> - backporting the specfiles that have changed with newer versions of RPM
> - troubleshooting the dependency problems, thus making other packages
>
> Currently we chose to not put resources into doing that sort of stuff.
>
> Think two minutes: what would you like to see in the updates? obviously,
> for example kde-2, gnome-1.2, xmms-1.2.4, rpm-4, XFree-4, for older
> distribs such as 7.0. This is an *enormous* amount of work, and, come on,
> we release everything on the web very conveniently, so why not upgrading
> or installing the 7.2..

Yes, it's a lot of work, but it gives the impression that you don't support your
product in the way a consumer understands support. It's also an argument for not
having so many point releases and further illustrates that Linux is really still in
development. None of this is good from an advocacy viewpoint, but it is the way
"business is done".

Hoyt