I might suggest a change in topic... Or perhaps a new mailing list for rants
such as this. For those of you that have problems upgrading your packages,
and especially for the ones that are starting to compare MandrakeSoft so a
certain large monopoly type "business" let me point out one simple fact.
Since the dawn of computers it has been the end users responsibilty to
upgrade their software as they see fit. Just because that other company that
has the initials MS creates a whole horde of software and keeps it updated
doesn't mean this is the same situation. Microsoft does not provide upgrades
for any other software other than their own, and I would challenge  you to
find a mailing list allowing you to help them work out bugs in current
developemental releases. Or maybe you could ask them to see a bit of their
code that you think might be buggy...... My point is Mandrake does a great
job keeping their new releases current, and I dare say the most feature
packed of any linux. If there is a program that you happen to love dearly and
want to upgrade as new versions become available, why not talk to the
programmer that created it and ask them to build Mandrake compatible RPMs if
you are not familiar enough with the system to compile it yourself. Unlike
the Windows closed source environment, the openess of the linux community
allows for almost daily upgrades to many of the most popular programs.

On a second note, Cooker is developemental and thus, not stable. Things DO
break when you're working out bugs in code and getting everything to mesh
together into one very nice and stable distribution. If you want to help,
change your system over to the latest cooker and run through your computer as
you normall would, taking notes of any problems. As for your upgrading
packages on your 7.2 system, rpmfind.net would be the place to go. I would
suggest for performance reasons you download the src.rpm and rebuild it. I
doubt most end users would even want to wade through all the packages if
Mandrake did provide the most current version of every package included with
their distribution......... =)

Tim McKenzie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]