On Sunday 18 February 2001 11:46, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Is EVIL!  It is a very bad idea to have an RPM's %post script restart
> a service?  Why?  Think about this scenario:
>
> # rpm -ivh --root /clients/diskless1 sysklogd-1.4-4mdk.i586.rpm
>
> Running a script on a diskless cluster server to build the root
> filesystems of some diskless nodes will cause the syslog/klog service
> to be restarted for each and every node filesystem built.

I've run into a case (twice, damn it!) where I upgraded glibc from a ssh
session.  The post-install restarts *ALL* services, and my session dropped
when sshd gets killed, leaving my system basically dead until I could
physically get to the system and manually restart the sshd service.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]