--- Prana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Did you guys read the review in ActiveWin.com about Linux Mandrake
> 7.2?
>
> Since last year I've been saying "Turn off services by default" for
> more
> than 10 times. Now I read a review in ActiveWin.com about LM 7.2
> being a
> resource hog, and it's true because they're running a whole bunch of
> services turned on by default - I guess they install the "Customized
<snip>
> I believe if we run a vote in MandrakeForum.com, a lot of people will
> want to have services turned off by default, for security and speed.

Yes, please; DEFAULT:OFF
For that matter, don't even install Apache, ZOPE, NFS or any other
broadcasting service(except absolutely mandatory ones i.e.,CUPS, etc.)
by default, please. Force the installer to make a choice for installing
such services by asking him/her, please.
( one reason:
I was rooted when first started using LM _because_ some services were
on that I did not know about, i.e., did not know what the H! they were
or if it was safe to turn them off. The interdependicies are not easy
to pin down for someone new to Linux.  Yes, there are other reasons it
happened but I caught the B! in time _only_ because I was snooping
around in the logs with fr. Not many (any?) real newbies are going to
do that.
)

Have A Great Day!
rj