On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>Don't get me wrong here, but this sentence is just a great example and aid
>to what pranha (??) said: People don't get the namings.  wu-ftpd kinda needs

Yes, that's true. It's been over a year when I last time used wu-ftpd.
At the time I had also anonftp installed so I didn't pay much attention
to the fact which package implemented which feature. And because there
are way too many packages in the distribution, most people don't have
the time to look through all of them.

>anonftp if you want anonftp for wu-ftpd.  anonftp is not a ftp server, and
>neither is tftp.  tftp is needed if you want machines to be bootable from
>the network, ie. diskless machines.

Maybe I should have read the descriptions before claiming anything. But
still I have to ask: how many of you have diskless computers in your
home? In my opinion those rare used features should be left optional.

>Now you are really getting way to far!  There's no need for name calling
>here!  My experience always was, that if you stay polite, you're much more
>likely to get a point accross!

Ok, I admit that I went too far. The comment was made as a joke but
somehow I forgot to put some evil grins or calming comments into it.
My purpose was not to be offencive, just to say that sometimes good
intentions may cause a lot of harm. To make all the services available
right after the installation may safe some time, but on those services
which need to be configured anyway it can lead to major security risks
and even to something completely unexpected behaviour.

BTW: I updated my distribution (7.2 updates) yesterday and noticed that
all the daemons which were updated were started, even if they were not
running before the update. Could this be changed at least in the
upcoming version of Mandrake and the new security fixes?

I think that the Mandrake is the best distribution, but there are few
flaws in it too. It seems to be unstable, because of too many services
are are automaticaly started in the normal installations. Most of them
are not needed and if they are, some of them seem to be ill configured
regarding to the intended use.

I have 6 friends who have tried MDK 7.2 and 4 of them swiched back to
RedHat because of they thought that MDK was too slow and just didn't
work. They all made the same mistake than I did on some of the first
tries: they installed all (or most of) the packages. The result was
that nothing seemed to work: one of them couldn't even compile the
programs. The only fix to these was to install MDK again and try
to install only those packages which were needed.

The main problem is that most of the people think that installing
everything (they have the disk space) and as expert (of course,
we all want to be experts) they get all they ever want. So with this
assumption you should at least force the user to turn the wanted
services on by themselves in the installation process.

Another thing: I don't know if this true anymore as it was in 7.2,
but using the logical partitions (e.g. hda5..) may cause Windows
(98/ME) to discard every succeeding partition by drive letters.

For example:

hda1 (win c), hda2 (dos ext), hda5 (win e), hda6 (ext2), hda7 (swap)
hdb1 (win d), hdb2 (dos ext), hdb5 (win f)

In this case Windows may be unable to find the letter F: until those
linux partiotions are deleted and changed to be as hda3 and hda4.

Regards,
  Matias