Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hmm, thinking about it - hmm, as Mandrake is targeted at the newbie kind of
> user, I begin to think that even after an install, a service should default
> to being turned off.  Yes, it's beginning to make sense.  If someone knows
> that he wants something, than it's easier for him to turn the service
> intentionally on.
AGREE.

> But then again, someone may not know what he wants.  Suppose a new linux
> user, who just read, that linux comes with an email server.  He knows that
> he wants an email server, but fails to see that postfix is an email server.
> Now the service is turned off - he comes to the conclusion, that "Linux is
> not working" because he expected to have an email server when installing
> Linux.  What about these kind of users?

It makes much more perfect sense to write a message in a dialog box
after install: "Dear user, your servers are not turned on by default so
that you can choose which one you want to run by yourself. If you need
it, log in as root user and type drakxservices from the console and
start the services that you need for your servers. If you only want to
run Mandrake as a desktop/development workstation, you don't have to
turn on any services so that your computer is optimized for desktop. To
update Mandrake, you can run Mandrake Update Robot if you user your
computer as a server or rpmdrake for Desktop user"

Another good idea is, try installing Caldera OpenDesktop 2.4 and you'll
see that login boot screen says "anacron [Enabled], crond [Enabled],
apache [Disabled],  portmap [Disabled], nfs [Disabled], etc etc etc"
However, Caldera still doesn't turn them off by default, which is bad.

> Yes, this should not happen.  Upgrading packages should not change the
> whether a service is turned on or off.
Of course it should NEVER happen. I don't understand why the packaging
forces us to run these unwanted services.... :-(

--
Prana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.cyest.org