andre wrote:

> > For the moment X11 forwarding through ssh doesn't work on the Mandrake
> > distro. I was trying to get this working on my boxen when I noticed the
> > following on http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#2.6 :
> >

> > ====
> > NOTE: For users of Linux Mandrake 7.2, Mandrake modifies the XAUTHORITY
> > environment variable in /etc/skel/.bashrc, and thus any bash user's home
> > directory. This
> > variable is set by OpenSSH and for either of the above options to work,
> > you need to comment out the line:
> >
> >      # export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
> > ====
> >
> > It all boils down to /etc/profile.d/xhost.sh and xhost.csh. Is this
> > XAUTHORITY environment setting really needed here, since it will
> > overrule the XAUTHORITY environment setting made by ssh --> screws the
> > X11 forwarding over ssh...

> I think this is the right way. Although it's maybe not what's expected. SSH
> is used more and more. Not only just as a fancy telnet but also for things
> like CVS access. In that case you don't need X forwarding and it would just
> open a security hole.
Well, I would prefer that user tunnel their X11 traffic over ssh instead
of
setting up their DISPLAby themselves. Using X11 is / could be considered
be a security risk (especially with win32 X-servers), tunneling the X
applications
over ssh should only make the situation better, not worse.

> But i understand why one wants to have X forwarding with ssh because it is
> just handy.
Yup... you ssh into a box and then you can just start applications and
they will
show up on your display. Very nice.

> So i suggest to have sshx what is the ssh with X forwarding enabled.
hmmm... on the client side you could do that, how about the sshd?
Wouldn't we be
making things more complicated?

Anyway, with the "export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority" still there it
won't work ;-)

Stefan