On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> > If "export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority" is commented, you won't be able
> > to run Moorhuhn, for example, or any program like fwin (Win4Lin
> > fullscreen), that uses another display, accessed by F8.
> OK... can't this be fixed within fwin? Maybe make a wrapper for the app
> so these things get set when it's running?
> I don't think it's right that one app can demand such changes to be
> made, which break general functionality --> make the distro incompatible
> (in my opinion).

SSH isn't demanding any changes to be made.  The "offending" line in
~/.bashrc is completely unnecessary and does nothing - I have no idea why
it is even in there, unless someone has something against SSH!

SSH is behaving perfectly well - it is the line in /etc/skel/.bashrc (and
hence in all users' ~/.bashrc) that is at fault.

Someone mentioned that it didn't seem to be fixed for them in the latest
cooker.  Whoever it was: if you did an upgrade to cooker (rather than an
isntall), then the bug won't have been fixed for *you* (i.e. your user
ID), because /etc/skel/.bashrc is only copied to ~/.bashrc when the user
is first created.  This is the reason why I think there should be
virtually nothing in /etc/skel/.bashrc as a matter of policy, because it
becomes very difficult to fix bugs in it!

Michael