Greetings, Frederic!

My understanding is that Qt is now open source software, and therefore
KDE, like GNOME, is based completely on open source software.
Therefore, I think the following sentence should be revised
appropriately:

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE, but GNOME is
based completely on Open Source software."

My suggestion is something like:

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE."

Other possibilities include:

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE, and GNOME (like
KDE) is based completely on Open Source software."

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE, but GNOME (and
now KDE also) is based completely on Open Source software."

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE, but CDE is not
Open Source software."

??

Thank you,
Randy Kramer