Alexander,

So, am I to understand you are a kde advocate? <grin>

Just so you are not misled, I have no affiliation with kde, and cannot
speak for them.

However, I think your suggested alternate still leaves room for doubt
about whether kde is or is not based on open source software.

Here is another alternative based on your suggestion, but it seems too
long:

..., and GNOME has always been based exclusively on Open Source software
(unlike KDE which has only recently fully conformed to the Open Source
paradigm)."

I think your favorite is best:

"GNOME is similar in purpose and scope to CDE and KDE, and GNOME (like
KDE) is based completely on Open Source software."

Randy Kramer