On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Pixel wrote:

> Arnd Bergmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Since 2.4, the situation has changed a bit. You now can have either
> > _no_ swap or swap > 2* phyisical memory, which would be 8GB.
> > Running the system with anything between that (0 < swapspace < 8GB for
> > you) is considered very bad now and the recommendation remains to
> > enable swap.
>
> please don't tell nonsense. having swap is always better, even if swapspace <
> memsize.
>
> a box running with xMB of swap in 2.2 may have some pb with 2.4 which wastes
> swap space for less swap fragmentation/better locality.

thats true, when you have unused pageof memory the kernel moves it to
swap, thats what swap for...

about the size, the 2xram is just a convention, i have 256M of ram and
have 4 swap partitions, but only use 2 normally, when i do a lot a
procession (like a big compile) i use the others to avoid fill my ram...

but anyway... you must use swap, no mathers how much ram you have, the
time to not use swap is in RTlinux, but i think thats noyt your case

> so, when moving from 2.2 to 2.4, increasing your swap size may be a good idea.
>
> cu Pixel (who have 128MB of mem, and 100MB of swap and won't change this!)

Bye

Juan Diego