On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Pixel wrote:

> Arnd Bergmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Since 2.4, the situation has changed a bit. You now can have either
> > _no_ swap or swap > 2* phyisical memory, which would be 8GB.
> > Running the system with anything between that (0 < swapspace < 8GB for
> > you) is considered very bad now and the recommendation remains to
> > enable swap.
>
> please don't tell nonsense. having swap is always better, even if swapspace <
> memsize.
>
> a box running with xMB of swap in 2.2 may have some pb with 2.4 which wastes
> swap space for less swap fragmentation/better locality.
>
> so, when moving from 2.2 to 2.4, increasing your swap size may be a good idea.
>
> cu Pixel (who have 128MB of mem, and 100MB of swap and won't change this!)

I was only referring to some post on linux-kernel by a person that I
always considered competent in this matter, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg21979.html
or related to this http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20010316_111.html and
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg32647.html

If you know enough about the MM in linux, you can of course use as much
or as little swap as you like. I don't, so I do as the author tells me.

I am indeed sorry for the nonsense I posted about PAE, which is really
only needed for physical memory above 4GB. After I had posted my mail,
I realized that I got the extensions for 4GB and 64GB since they were
implemented roughly at the same time. Still the highmem extension is
needed to access the full 4GB, but without PAE, the slowdown is not
nearly as big.

Arnd <><