<cynic mode>
There are many possible motives for creating a new editor, programming
language, or program to replace an existing program.

These include:
-a need to correct mistakes or problems in a previous program (hopefully
large mistakes, that require a different paradigm to address)
-the joy of creation
-academic recognition (in the case of academics)
-business competition
-???

The first reason strikes me as the most valid.  Too many programs are
created for the other reasons.

Unfortunately, this creates a Tower of Babel for computer users.
</cynic mode>

Knowing this doesn't help,
Randy Kramer