harddrake-0.9.3-16mdk
XFree86-4.0.3-7mdk

In some places I've checked (e.g. hard disk description) instead of
russian text in koi8-r encoding I get pseudo-Russian (or, better,
approximation) text in ASCII. E.g. instead of "Производитель" -
"pROIZVODITELX" etc.

(Funny thing - if I copy and paste it from hard drake into cyrillic-aware
app, text appears as russian :-)

I checked message catalog and it is O.K. The reason is most probably
either incorrect font selection or (less likely) some screwd up locale in
harddrake. XFree is intelligent enough to select the best replacement for
koi8-r text - if you insist on ASCII font, the best replacement is just
transliteration (as it is called here).

Locale (all variables) are set to ru.

-andrej