See the thing is that gdm is trying to run x a second time, over itself.
 it then gives the message in vt8.
kdm and xdm have the xsession running 'over' themselves.  The way the
command is written for gdm tries to start a new xserver but cant on an
already running one.  If it tries to  on 8 but cant for the same reason
my modified startx which reads a display number integer from user no
longer works, but still tries display 0.  That would explain the xserver
already running message.  Dont know why it works second time though.
I remember seeing in one of the X/gdm conf or etc or something files a
specification to use 2 terms (vt7,8 or display 0,1) but cant find it
again for the life of me.  It seems though that all the related files
were touched by the magic of chmouel so he might know where to find it.
Hey, note the changes in startx and how the apply since previous versions.
Also
[time passed]
Be right back,,,