François Pons wrote:

> "L. A. Lawless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'm bringing up a question or two on this because although it's not the
> > same problem, there are similarities. P200MMX, 3.3GB HDD, 160MB RAM,
> > S3Virge 86c325 graphics card with 4MB video RAM. X cannot be installed
> > in 8 at all, any version. Even doing an expert text install, along comes
> > the graphical DrakX and the whole machine freezes solid. At least a
> > graceful crash is preferable to having to hit reset and use fsck in the
> > hope of being able to rescue your data. By doing an upgrade from 7.2 I
> > can get a working X server, but I still have the freeze and rest, and
> > then the manual fsck before I can get X working.
> > When is this going to be fixed? I've used every version of Mandrake
> > since 7.0 and the only one that would install a working X server without
> > freezing was 7.2. Could somebody maybe compare the code and produce a
> > patch? This isn't only an installation problem, after installation the
> > only way to change anything that would normally use drakx is by editing
> > the conf file by hand, because drakx freezes the system any time it is
> > used.
> > I think this is my 6th time of bringing this up on cooker.
>
> Have you tried with another kernel, I have ask with another contributor with
> this card and nothing was possible to do, this seems not ddcxinfos, this is not
> testing the card during install, it freeze as for pci probing or similar with
> sound strange.
>
> So can you try with a 2.2 kernel, as it was working on 7.2 (using a 2.2) ?
>
> I made test with ViRGE/DX or /GX and it work nicely, except that I disabled
> frame buffer once reboot.
>
> François.

I've tried with three 2.2 kernels and three 2.4 kernels. I've tried
XFree 3.3 and XFree 4. I've tried with different x servers
pre-installed. Even if I don't use framebuffer on reboot, if I dare
click on drakx in graphical mode everything freezes. If I try text mode,
drakx is still called and everything freezes. And that still doesn't
solve the problem of an aborted install and having to do a manual fsck
to fix just about everything on my root partition after the freeze. I'm
trying a text expert install tomorrow, specifying less system RAM, as
that's just about the only other idea I have, although 160 MB should be
enough. This seems to be a problem with the generic S3Virge chip only,
particularly the 86c325. BTW it didn't work on 7.0 or 7.1, although I
could write a config file on those using xf86config after recovering
from the freeze. I got a sort-of X in the 1st 8.0 beta (2.4 kernel) as
well, but it had three overlapping images on my monitor. At least that
one didn't freeze everything during install so I could recover easily.
--
Anna