At 01:25 PM 8/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Yeah been there done that - not impressed. Debian's apt-get is a POS in my
>opinion compared to urpmi, I tried debian and followed the instructions to a
>T with apt-get to upgrade from stable to testing and got an unusable system,
>apt-get crashed on me several times, many dependancies were left out. I'd
>hardly call that smooth.

That's probably why they called it "testing" (woody) . Same thing happened
with my LM8 though, crashed after updating from cooker. :-) Besides i only
said that the installation part was smooth, not the whole experience of
using it throughout. Here's a weird thing though, try unchecking playmidi
in the default Mandrake selections and it will tell you that it has to
unselect gnome and so many other gnome-related rpms.

>No one distro is every cut and dry better than any other for size or
>packaging reasons, slackware or debian you have to spend a week or so getting
>a system as up to date as mandrake and getting all the packages downloaded
>and installed and setup that mandrake includes as rpm's.

I never mentioned any distro better "over-all" than any other either. I did
mention better in package organization, installation routine, etc. I
probably should have mentioned Mandrake being the best when it comes to
packages collection.

>Mandrake on the other hand may be a little weak in the package selection area
>like you had mentioned but I've always been able to setup mdk with different
>kernels.
>
>Better doesn't necessarily mean smaller, nor does it mean larger, it means
>more able. And as far as I am concerned mdk is more able to get my systems up
>and going with up to date/stable packages quickly and easily and yes even
>minimally.
>
>I'm responsible for about 20 servers, I've went from using redhat to mandrake
>on all of them and have been very pleased. Some of the servers actually run
>solaris, redhat and debian, but my pick of them all is the 11-12 mdk systems.
>
>And for those who boast debian/slackware stability - BS. I've seen friends
>debian/slack systems go down a heck of a lot more than my mdk systems. Some
>of which have been up now for over 230 days, and would be longer if not for
>rewiring power in the building.

As i believe was the original poster of this thread's intent, i was just
also trying to see the "Linux experience" from the point of view of a
person trying it out for the first time, to see whether it would be OK as
replacement for a certain OS for day-to-day use (not for a singular use,
say, as a server). From the installation process, configuration,
ease-of-use, availability of suitable replacement for apps that i would be
normally using with the other OS, etc.

cheers,