Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> This has motivated us to explore creating our own Mandrake subset;
> this would give us CDs that only contain the software we use and let
> us quickly install a new machine.  What would be very cool is if there
> was some means to quickly build a profile, proof it, and then run the
> mkcds to create a custom subset, and then later, when a new Mandrake
> appears, we just unpack the CDs, plop in our profile, and in one
> command, our standard install package is updated.

This already exists - see troels.rsync3.pl on my web page.  As
supplied, it downloads a Mandrake or cooker tree, leaving out
everything non-English, and is easily further customised by adding to
rsync_exclude to form a profile which will download only such a
subset as you propose.  The profile-building is today an iterative
manual process, specify, download, install with hd.img, respecify,
etc., adding excludes for what you do NOT want downloaded.

--
Ron. [au]

Kindly note my new email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and new web site: http://www.ains.net.au/~ronst/