guran> On Thursday 05 July 2001 16:21, you wrote:
>> Frankly, I by far prefer this kind of questions rather than plain old
>> insults that you wrote beginning this thread.
>>
>> "Who is God at Mandrake to censor Linus and Alan and what is the policy?"

guran> It was not my intention, to kick on a person, I wanted to know the policy,
guran> and policy I think can be argued about.

ok, will try to explain what _I_ understand here:
- If something is experimental, we don't enable it in the .config
  except if:
   * there is no other driver for the thing
   * it don't affect the rest of the system if you don't use it.
- If something don't boot in my test machines (i.e. I know it is so
  buggy that only will boot/support very light load before crash,
  don't ship.

There are other two requirements for the kernel on cooker:
    - if one application don't load, you only have to reboot, if the
      kernel don't boot, it could eat your filesystems for breakfast.
    - the kernel has actually around 120 patches, that means that
sometimes it is very difficult to release a new kernel, if alan cox or
linus torvalds change some core infrastructure, we could need some
time to adapt all the patches.

In this case (alan cox -2x patches), we _know_ (indeed he told in the
changelog), that they will be unstable for some time, then we decide
not to release them.

It is the kind of explanation that you wanted?

Later, Juan.

PS. As all the rules, there are exceptions :)  You can consider this a
    rule of thumb.

PS2. I am on the road at LSM, that means that I can't be very
responsive until Monday :(

are different -- Larry McVoy