François Pons wrote:

> This is "easy", release numbering is not consistent with rpm vision of sorting
> release (or version).
>
> I checked rpmtools version_compare (which do the same as rpmvercmp of rpmlib)
> and it return the first argument as always greater than the second (which is
> absurd). But rpmlib says the second argument is always greater than the first
> one :-)
>
> Use for example "4.1m" and "4m" for comparison. I tested it on rpm 4.0 only, not
> checked for 4.0.3
>
> François.

Since someone finally seems to be on top of the urpmi problems, the most
recent Mandrake Community Newsletter (I stopped receiving this by email
for some reason, but I read it on http://www.linuxtoday.com/) had a
review of urpmi vs. apt-get.

One of the things the reviewer mentioned, and I agree, is that the
syntax for urpmi.addmedia is unintelligible. I suggest two things.

1. Can it not require the english word 'with' as part of the arguments.
This is very confusing, not to mention the URL syntax itself.

2. Why can't update sites be listed in a simple .conf text file? Also
why should I have to provide the depslist in addition to the URL? It
should assume that the directory tree follows standard naming convention
(all I have ever seen do this), and therefore it should be able to find
the depslist from the base URL, instead of me having to remember not
only the URL for the site, but the exact path for the depslist.

Thoughts?

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck