Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > First, let me say that having to untick all the boxes to get the "Holy
> > > Minimal
> > > Install" is inefficient, not to say ridiculous.
> >
> > unselect XFree86-libs and you'll end in only ~90-100Mb of packages to install
> > :-)
>
> That's nice, and I'm sure that the newbies that are gifted with the power of
> prediction and mind-reading will have no trouble figuring this out.
>
> Since as far back as I can recall, there have been regular echoes of
> requests for the options of 'select all'

drawbacks :
- nearly 6Bg installed with contribs RPMS2
- conflicts to resolve (do you want hylafax or another fax spoller?)
- ...

> (in fact, commonly still pointed out as a flaw in reviews) and 'minimum
> install'.

pixel just told me: "too many buttons" :-(

> Neither of these options require rcoket science to implement, yeat,

we're waiting for your patches then :-)

> steadfastedly, Mandrake refuses to add these simple options.

you've a patch ?

> Why?

full install will never be done (too many problems - but maybe if you come

with a patch ?).  minimal install might come alive :-)

> (While at the same time weighting down the installations with cutting edge,
> but largely unnecessary apps,

the apps which are in cooker or in contribs are there on request of the
communauty or because maintainer uses it.
so unnecessary for you.

installation "weight" depend of what packages groups you select, size you
select, fs size you made.

> and leaving out relatively useful and established files (like the rather
> obscure 'traceroute').

usefull for you.  every package not in the minimal install may not be usefull
for everybody.  yes, even traceroute.
for this case, one can prefer tracepath or none.

do you see the problem with _your_ classification between what you called useful
and unnecessary apps? this attitude is just plain insult for the work we've done
to answer communauty request for apps.

> Sometimes I really wonder.

wonder what ?