and who uses aurora?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Terrible Tom
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 12:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cooker] [Holy Minimal Install] Why "Linux sucks"...

on 8/8/01 2:17 PM, Pixel at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Neither of these options require rcoket science to implement, yeat,
>> steadfastedly, Mandrake refuses to add these simple options.
>>
>> Why?
>
> simple: too dangerous. eg, try installing redhat on 300MB, it's hard!
>
> - minimum install => people don't have many stuff installed and can't make
> their system working
> - maximum install => more install pbs, less tested, conflicts, weird slow
> services... Even more true with Contribs being available at install!

Agreed, i tried doing a minimal install of another distro on my mac this
morning, eeek!

>> (While at the same time weighting down the installations with cutting
edge,
>> but largely unnecessary apps, and leaving out relatively useful and
>> established files (like the rather obscure 'traceroute').
>
> i've never used traceroute so i don't care much ;pp
>
> anyway, at the moment, it's in 'Utilities', like lsof, tcpdump...
> it could be moved to the default install.
> (though i won't move lsof unless its doc is lowered to a reasonable size)

i still think it's funny that gimp gets installed but not traceroute, but
thats another story ( nothing against gimp either, just that I doubt many
people use it much )