Grimau Lysik'an wrote:

>> From: Stefan van der Eijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>> #2) You say nothing about the reason.
>>

>> ./configure was looking for /usr/bin/mcopidl, and couldn't find it.
>>
>> [stefan@taz OK]$ urpmf /usr/bin/mcopidl
>> arts:/usr/bin/mcopidl
>>
>> So I added BuildRequires arts.
>

> This is what I am talking about - adding a requirement just to make it
> work. Do you know that mcopidl is REALLY needed, or are you just
> trying to make ./configure happy?

Let's see... the buildoutput is available at:

http://cm61-10-20-87.hkcable.com.hk/build/cooker/i586/OK/kups-1.1-11mdk.src.rpm.txt

The only place in the buildoutput where I can find mcopidl is:

checking for dcopidl2cpp... /usr/bin/dcopidl2cpp
checking for mcopidl... /usr/bin/mcopidl
checking for kdb2html... /usr/bin/kdb2html

So it probably doesn't use this program to Build the application either.
But if i leave out the BuildRequires, and arts isn't installed the
package won't be rebuilt, because it will hang on the ./configure.

What should I do?
1/ Keep the BuildRequires and just let it be;
2/ Remove the BuildRequires, and have a broken package (at least on my
rebuilding system);
3/ Patch the source to let ./configure not check for mcopidl so we can
drop the BuildRequires: arts. This means there is another patch to make
& maintain and figuring all this out takes time. Feel free to submit
such a patch and I'll put it in;
4/ Report a bug to the authors of the kups software and when the bug is
fixed drop the BuildRequires: arts;

> If mcopidl is really needed, then it's obviously NOT just an arts
> thing and should be taken out and put in a more reasonable place. (I
> know that isn't what you are working on at the moment - but someone
> should be).

How about we take a different look at this? The mcopidl program, in wich
package should it reside? The following files are in RedHat's Rawhide
art s package:

[stefan@taz RPMS]$ rpm -qipl arts-2.2.1-1.alpha.rpm | grep bin
/usr/bin/artscat
/usr/bin/artsd
/usr/bin/artsdsp
/usr/bin/artsplay
/usr/bin/artsshell
/usr/bin/artswrapper

And for cooker:

[stefan@taz RPMS]$ rpm -qpl arts-2.2.1-8mdk.i586.rpm
libarts2-2.2.1-8mdk.i586.rpm libarts2-devel-2.2.1-8mdk.i586.rpm | sort |
grep bin
/usr/bin/artscat
/usr/bin/artsc-config
/usr/bin/artsd
/usr/bin/artsdsp
/usr/bin/artsplay
/usr/bin/artsshell
/usr/bin/artswrapper
/usr/bin/mcopidl

The mcopidl binary seems to be in a differen package on cooker. In
Rawhide mcopidl can be found in: kdelibs-sound-devel-2.2.1-1.alpha.rpm.
Cooker doesn't have kdelibs-sound-devel anymore...

Please advise.

Stefan van der Eijk