On Thursday 08 November 2001 17:47, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> On Thursdayen den 8 November 2001 17.05, Steven Lawrance wrote:
> > I've read that the infamous Abit BP6 dual Celeron motherboards
> > were notorious for APIC errors and had a lot of crashing
> > problems, but I'm hoping that my motherboard, a GigaByte
> > dual-Pentium (GA-5DX or something like that), doesn't have the
> > same problems :-) (it came out well before the BP6, back in
> > 1997).
>
> I have never had any problems what so ever with my bp6. Where did
> you read this? And under what circumstances does it crash?

I used to have these by the truckload when I started using mandrake
kernels again after the switch to 2.4 series on my BP6, until I
modified it to run Pentium III processors.  THat old HX motherboard
might be having problems supplying clean power to the CPUs.  The
main change made to my BP6 to run P-IIIs involved upgrading a bunch
of electrolytic capacitors.  Electrolytic capacitors have finite
lifespans.  It could be that the capacitors on that HX chipset
motherboard might be getting stale... not dead yet, but a bit
stale.  If they are on the edge, the system would be mostly stable,
but would fail from time to time, but not consistantly...  Just my
opinion, of course...  Afterall, I'm a physicyst working as a
customer service agent, not an electrician!

~~Chuck