alexander> So sprach »Juan Quintela« am 2001-12-04 um 23:15:20 +0100 :
>> --=-=-=
>> Name        : kernel-2.4.16.3mdk           Relocations: (not relocateable)
>> Version     : 1                                 Vendor: MandrakeSoft
>> Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Tue Dec  4 22:17:01 2001

alexander> Could somebody *please* explain this new, strange naming scheme?  What's
alexander> the gain compared to

alexander> Name: kernel
alexander> Version: 2.4.16
alexander> Release: 3mdk

ok, I will try.

Reason for that is to be able to have more than one kernel in the
distribution.  Until know you can have several kernels installed at
home, but not several kernels in the distribution.  Namelly, if you
skip kernel-2.4.13-19mdk, install kernel-2.4.13-20mdk, and it don't
work, there is no way that you can find the old kernel-2.4.13-19mdk,
that perhaps works for you.

With the new scheme all the kernels will have a different name, that
way, all the kernels will be different, and they can stay in the
distro without any problems.

I asked for being able to have more than one kernel in cooker.  Upper
level came with that proposal, that _all_ the kernels can be there.
It also fixed some problems with upgrades, but I don't know too much
about how this fixed that problem.

alexander> And for the older/newer kernels:

alexander> Name: kernel-2.2 or kernel-2.5

alexander> Really, what's gained by changing the *name* of the package each time?
alexander> Won't this break stuff that "Requires: kernel >= 2.4"?

No, each new kernel provides the old names: kernel = 2.4.X

Gain as that you can have in the mirros more than one kernel, and that
upgrading your distro don't change your kernel, you can install a new
kernel, but not upgrade the kernel.

Notice that kernel is special anyway, as for having efect the
installing of a new kernel, you need to reboot.  It is the only
packages that needs that.

And yes, I also know that the new kernel naming:
- fix some problems with old kernel naming.
- add some problems that was not there.

And I don't know if it provekes more problems that it solves or the
other way around.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy