So sprach »Yves Duret« am 2001-12-05 um 15:00:24 +0100 :
> patches from everywhere without the risk of breaking cooker. if the new one is
> stable enough, the older goes away and so on...

Hm, if that's the goal, what about having:

Name: kernel
Version: <something-which-is-stable>
Release: 1mdk (or whatever)

and for the experimental kernel:

Name: kernel-test
Version: 2.4.16 (or whatever)
Release: 1mdk (or whatever)
Provides: kernel-2.4.16-1mdk

This would allow the kernel hackers to experiment with a kernel, while
still having a known good kernel around.  Also, this would not change
the name of the package every time.  Wouldn't this be sufficient?
Because I don't see the need to have n test kernels flying around.  With
my proposal, there would be only one test kernel.

Alexander Skwar
--
>>               Wohnung in Gelsenkirchen und Umgebung gesucht!               <<

        iso-top.de - Die günstige Art an Linux Distributionen zu kommen
                       Uptime: 22 hours 24 minutes