On 09 Dec 2001 20:49:38 +0100
Yves Duret <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Marcel Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I tried it this afternoon, and selected an Epson 1240U.
> > First try didn't work out.
> > It set it up to /dev/scanner which didn't exist.
> >
> > So I tried again.
> > I loaded uhci (I had scanner and usbcore already loaded).
> > Mounted /proc/usb/bus, and ran scannerdrake.
> > It found my scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0.
> > So it works fine.
>
> good. no problems with the icons on KDE/gnome desktop ?

Sorry, I use blackbox, with only the apps of kde/gnome.
I hate icons on my desktop :)

> > I'm just wondering why it didn't autodetect it the first time.
> > I don't have any usbd running. Also no kudzu or harddrake.
> > I started service kudzu, but that made no difference.
> > I still needed /proc/bus/usb mounted, and uhci loaded.
> > It was intended that way? I'm only wondering.
>
> yes kudzu and hardrake are evil :) and they shlould disapear soon
> yes i use /proc/bus/usb for the probing. that the only way to kwnow
the exact
> type of scanner. (and you need uhci loaded to use your scanner so..)

Yes, that's correct.
Though with /proc/bus/usb unmounted (and uhci still loaded)
sane-find-scanner finds the scanner.
But that's dependent on the scanner kernel module to recognize the
scanner.
Just a detail, but it might be interesting.

> > My version here is:
> > drakxtools-1.1.7-48mdk
> >
> > Greetings
>
> thanx