> by 'it' and 'that' I meant adding aliases to /etc/modules.devfs as you
> suggested.

It works. Have you restarted devfsd?

> However, doing what you suggest:
>
> {pts/1}% ll /dev/irc*
> zsh: no matches found: /dev/irc*
> {pts/1}% sudo modprobe ircomm-tty
> {pts/1}% ll /dev/irc*
>
> works for me as well - there is about thirty devices created and
working.

> So now is the question - where and what fix should go

The fix must go into /etc/modules.devfsd:

#IrDA ircomm devices
alias     /dev/ircomm           ircomm-tty
alias     /dev/ircomm*          /dev/ircomm

[root@cooker root]# ll /dev/ircomm*
ls: /dev/ircomm*: No such file or directory
[root@cooker root]# lsmod | grep ircomm-tty
[root@cooker root]#
[root@cooker root]# ll /dev/ircomm0
crw-------    1 root     root     161,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/ircomm0
[root@cooker root]# lsmod | grep ircomm-tty
ircomm-tty             20320   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ircomm                  7900   0  (autoclean) [ircomm-tty]
irda                   92428   0  (autoclean) [ircomm-tty ircomm]

-andrej