So sprach »Ben Bruscella« am 2002-01-17 um 10:15:54 +1100 :
> actually 'illegal' to distribute binaries.    Same with lame I think.  I am
> sure this will become more common, so how will this situation be handled in
> a distribution like Mandrake?

Well, I don't see much of a problem - if it's illegal to distribute the
binary, it won't be included.

However, the MPlayer guys also give another explanation about why
MPlayer binaries are bad: MPlayer is always optimized for the machine it
was built on.  So, if *I*'d build MPlayer binaries, I'd get Athlon
binaries, which won't do any good on Celeron systems.

Now MPlayer is a rather good example - for apps like this, it would be
good if someone would release a "binary" rpm, which upon installation
(rpm -Uvh) would compile the stuff and then install the optimized
version.

Hmm, interesting idea...  Maybe I'll try to do something in this
direction ;)

This would not be illegal, would it?  I mean, if the %post section would
compile the stuff, the "binary" (or rather noarch?) RPM would only
distribute the source.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)