Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

>Kaixo!
>Li Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:51:29 +0100,
> Guy Zelck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrîjheut:
>
> GZ> Not a real answer but sth. that's bothering me from the beginning and
> GZ> related to the Euro.
> GZ> I've got a md8.1 and the Euro doesn't work in KDE, you get ? instead. It
> GZ> does in xterm & gedit for instance.
>
> GZ> My /etc/sysconfig/i18n contains :
> GZ> LC_CTYPE=nl_BE.ISO-8859-15
> GZ> LANG=nl
>
>in fact "nl" used to use iso-8859-1 not iso-8859-15.
>It is a problem for KDE as it gives priority to LANG over other LC_*
>variables, it seems (something I consider to be a bad behaviour, btw).
>Undefine LANG, or define it to the same value than LC_* variables;
>or rebuild the definitions of "nl" (as root):
>
>localedef -c -i nl_NL -f ISO-8859-15 /usr/share/locale/nl
>
>(in such last case, also edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locales/locales.alias
>and change:
>
>nl:            nl_NL.ISO-8859-1
>
>with:
>
>nl:            nl_NL.ISO-8859-15

Thanks Pablo, after a long search I solved it last Sunday by redefining
LANG just as you indicate here. I was a very happy man.
The thread "On Euro" contains some interesting links which permitted me
to also adapt Eterm for the ¤.
I find the other tips you provide very interesting, again we learn sth.
new, thanks for that.

> GZ> A lot of people struggle with this but never is there any real reason
> GZ> given by Mandrake why this doesn't work,
>
>It took me quite some time to understand what the problem was, as using
>LANG variable in priority is not a standard behaviour, and also as KDE
>shows in other aspects a complete independence from system locale settings.
>
>Sorry for the inconvenience.

Your efforts are much appreciated. It would be good if these Euro
problems get a place on one of the Mandrake sites.

Greetings,
Guy.