> Yves, the dynamic icon creation on the desktop now works with devfs
> enabled and running, but after clicking on it it runs XSane (link
> name: XSane /dev/usb/scanner0 ), then bombs out with the same error as
> before:
>
> xsane: no devices available
>
> It does seem to take a little longer though before erroring out (if
> that helps any :) ).

can you launch it from the icon ?
i'm getting " invalid argument " unless i modify it to lunch "xsane" and
not "xsane  /dev/usb/scanner0"

from xsane --help

Usage: xsane [OPTION]... [DEVICE]

Start up graphical user interface to access SANE (Scanner Access Now
Easy) devices.

The format of [DEVICE] is backendname:devicefile (e.g. umax:/dev/scanner).

snip

so it should be (in my case ) " xsane snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 "
or simply  "xsane" if you have only one scanner