On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:29:07PM +0100, H.McM wrote:
> > 2)
> > In /home.
> > First of all we are going out of any Unix philosophy: since 1970 homedirs are
> > 700, now they are created as 711. I don't think this is the right default,
> > anyway it's just a personal opinion, so I simply run "chmod 700 <homedir>".
> > OK.
> > NO! It seems OK, but it will be 711 again after a system reboot!!!! I cannot
> > believe it!!!
>
> MSEC is causing the change of permissions on home directories. If you are not
> happy with the current permissions, then either:
> 1) select a security level with the permissions you require. You can see the
> what permissions used with each level are by looking in /etc/security/msec
>
> 2) create a perm.local file in /etc/security/msec with the directories and
> permissions that you require. This file overrides the default msec permissions.

Could the changelog be more precise than ? So you can figure out what
might goes wrong after you install it.
Looking back in the changelog of msec I see:

* Sun Jan 20 2002 Frederic Lepied <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0.17-13mdk
- /home is 711 in level 3.

but no mention of /home/* (note the star) being set to 711.

By the way, could I have some more detail about this entry in the
changelog:

* Tue Feb 05 2002 Frederic Lepied <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0.18-4mdk
- correct gdm.conf modifications

Could this one be the origin of my gdm.conf continously being reset to
"Browser=true" ?

Cheers,

                                Odie

Olivier Dormond aka Odie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])