On Monday 25 February 2002 00:37, Paolo Pedroni wrote:
> Il 02:51, sabato 23 febbraio 2002, hai scritto:
>> Perhaps it could be included in contribs for the sake of nostalgia?  It
>> is a classic peice of software after all.

> Besides the nostalgia factor, it is also required by some packages (namely
> AfterStep-1.8.10-1mdk). And netscape-plugins is required by
> kdebase3-nsplugins-3.0-0.beta2.1mdk.

That can be dealt with by pointing AS at Mozilla and (!) making nsplugins
standalone. RPM really needs a ``recommended'' information tag for s/w that
goes with a package but isn't required.

> I'd really like it if Netscape4 went back in cooker: it's the only browser
> that you can fall back if the newer ones (Konqueror, Mozilla, Galeon) don't
> work (and everyone knows that sometimes they just don't work).

Very rarely do I find something that breaks both Konq and Moz but not NS4.
And generally (speaking for myself only) it's not the kind of site I'd visit
if I had a choice anyway (eyeball deep in graphics and Java, or totally
IE-specific).

> The only reason I can see for segregating it in the commercial CDs is to
> have any Mandrake user who wants a browser that 'just works' to but the
> commercial CDs. I'm not going to do that.

And to make the main distro more completely GPL.

Cheers; Leon