Juan Quintela wrote:

> mathias> it doesn't seem that kernel-2.4.18-2mdk has a initrd
> mathias> prebuild so therefor doesn't link initrd to initrd-2.4.18-2mdk.img
> mathias> properly.
>
> mathias> Another thing that came up is it complains when
> mathias> mounting /proc, it says its allready mounted so
> mathias> that program fails.
>
> What is your configuration?
>
> Here it creates a initrd for sure.
>
> what is your root fs
> and in what is it imounted (i.e. ide, or if SCSI, what card).
>
> Later, Juan

I've reported this bug three or so times, and received no reply. For me,
the root fs is XFS on an ATA100 harddisk.

1.) For mkbootdisk, I would hope if 1.38M is not big enough to fit the
XFS module the installer would attempt to format for a larger size
(apparently this can be done). At least this way, if you fail to create
the initrd when I install Mandrake Linux, the bootdisk may save me.

2.) It seems there is an error creating the initrd. For one thing it
would be nice if it took a --root=/mnt option. I cannot tell what the
cause is, but I see either:

a.) unresolved symbols in modules loaded from initrd
b.) no xfs module included in the initrd, so no ability to mount root fs
anyway

3.) I have tried installing an older kernel which is known to work. Same
thing happens -- creating initrd fails. Persumably, it looks in /sbin or
/lib for modules, when my rescue disk puts my filesystems under /mnt.
But again, I try creating this file manually, and I get the same errors
as above.

Like I said, this has happened before. I forgot how I fixed it last
time, but I remember it took me a couple of days.

Sorry, I don't have much info, maybe you can tell me where to look? I
have tried creating the initrd manually since the RPM fails when it
tries to do it.
--
Sincerely,

David Walluck