Juan Quintela wrote:

> Then something is wrong in mkinitrd, since several versions, I am not
> able to release a kernel with unresolved symbols, they will just broke
> the compilation before it finishes.

Yes, I haven't been able to build the kernel from source, either, which
can't be a good sign.

Anyway, the error is unresolved symbols, which I can type out a bit by hand:

a hundred or so unresolved symbols

busybox: unresolved symbol remove_proc_entry_R29dccccQ
busybox: unresolved symbol dm_send_namesp_event_R14e19551
busybox: unresolved symbol balance_dirty_Ra2df694
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
Creating root device
Mounting /proc filesystem
mount: error 19 mounting xfs flags Freeing unused kernel memory 260k freed
kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

>>>could you take a look at what is at the initrd?
>>>cp /boot/intrd-xxxxxxx /tmp/initrd.gz
>>>gunzip /tmp/initrd.gz
>>>mount -o loop /tmp/initrd /mnt/disk
>>>ls -l /mnt/disk
>>>cat /mnt/disk/linuxrc
>>>that will give me one idea of what is happening
>>>

> david> I will get you the exact output after I sleep... so give this 8 hours
> david> or so, after all, it is Sunday ;)
>
> ok, I also need to go to sleep.

I tried this. It looks like the boot kernel does not have loopback
support. I'm not sure what to do, then.

>>>try, to remove /boot/initrd<of your kernel>
>>>urpme last kernel
>>>urpmi last kernel, and see if this fixes the problem, if it is not
>>>fixed, send me what errors it gives while you are installing also.
>>>

> david> I have tried, for example, if I remove the kernel, so I have no kernel
> david> installed, then I do the "Upgrade install" the install will add a
> david> kernel for me.
>
> yep, but if you install it with urpmi, you can have _several_ kernels
> installed.

I did install 2.4.17-10mdk from Beta 1. But when I tried to create an
initrd it says:

No module xfs_dmapi found for kernel 2.4.17-10mdk

Someone said that creating a 2.4.18-2mdk kernel manually fixed the
problem for them, but I don't know if they are using XFS or not.
--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>