david> Juan Quintela wrote:
> [...]
mathias> it doesn't seem that kernel-2.4.18-2mdk has a initrd
mathias> prebuild so therefor doesn't link initrd to initrd-2.4.18-2mdk.img
mathias> properly.
mathias> Another thing that came up is it complains when
mathias> mounting /proc, it says its allready mounted so
mathias> that program fails.
>> What is your configuration?
>> Here it creates a initrd for sure.
>> what is your root fs and in what is it imounted (i.e. ide, or if
>> SCSI, what card).
>> Later, Juan

david> I've reported this bug three or so times, and received no reply. For
david> me, the root fs is XFS on an ATA100 harddisk.

david> 1.) For mkbootdisk, I would hope if 1.38M is not big enough to fit the
david> XFS module the installer would attempt to format for a larger size
david> (apparently this can be done). At least this way, if you fail to
david> create the initrd when I install Mandrake Linux, the bootdisk may save
david> me.

known problem, no way to create a boot disk for XFS sorry, but
floppyes are still 1.44MB & xfs alone is:

quintela$ ll /lib/modules/2.4.17-18mdk/kernel/fs/xfs*/*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1192269 Feb 14 22:20
/lib/modules/2.4.17-18mdk/kernel/fs/xfs_dmapi/xfs_dmapi.o.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7754 Feb 14 22:20
/lib/modules/2.4.17-18mdk/kernel/fs/xfs_support/xfs_support.o.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       296188 Feb 14 22:20
/lib/modules/2.4.17-18mdk/kernel/fs/xfs/xfs.o.gz

and that is just too much :(((

david> 2.) It seems there is an error creating the initrd. For one thing it
david> would be nice if it took a --root=/mnt option. I cannot tell what the
david> cause is, but I see either:

I have no idea, but I have been able to boot a machine with xfs
yesterday :(  I don't know what is happening in your case.

david> a.) unresolved symbols in modules loaded from initrd

Nope, if they are created in that orde:
xfs_support
xfs_dmapi
xfs

it works, tested.

david> b.) no xfs module included in the initrd, so no ability to mount root
david> fs anyway

could you take a look at what is at the initrd?

cp /boot/intrd-xxxxxxx /tmp/initrd.gz
gunzip /tmp/initrd.gz
mount -o loop /tmp/initrd /mnt/disk
ls -l /mnt/disk
cat /mnt/disk/linuxrc

that will give me one idea of what is happening

david> 3.) I have tried installing an older kernel which is known to
david> work. Same thing happens -- creating initrd fails. Persumably, it
david> looks in /sbin or /lib for modules, when my rescue disk puts my
david> filesystems under /mnt. But again, I try creating this file manually,
david> and I get the same errors as above.

Could you copy the exact errors for me?  Here it is working fine (not
in a floppy, no space for it), but in the root fs, it just works.

david> Like I said, this has happened before. I forgot how I fixed it last
david> time, but I remember it took me a couple of days.

try, to remove /boot/initrd<of your kernel>
urpme last kernel
urpmi last kernel, and see if this fixes the problem, if it is not
fixed, send me what errors it gives while you are installing also.

david> Sorry, I don't have much info, maybe you can tell me where to look? I
david> have tried creating the initrd manually since the RPM fails when it
david> tries to do it.

Paste the errors tath it gives to you in a mail please?

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy