On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 00:42, Frédéric Crozat wrote:
> Le Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:07:43 +0100, Bryan Paxton a écrit :
>
> If you were reading the result of the rpmfind query, you'll see that the
> ximian package is a GNOME 2 snapshot. It has nothing to do with Mandrake !
>
> And if you are following GNOME2 development, you can see that the entire
> GNOME2 platform will no longer have big metapackage like gnome-core and
> so on..
> So, it seems GNOME community is moving to a "libification like process".. We only
> began to work on that before others..

 I stand corrected here (in looking again I see those are redhat
packages for gnome 2 preview). I have not be avidly following GNOME 2
devel,
However, I do point to this
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/pre-gnome2/redhat/specs/gnome-core.spec
so, I'll go over to talk with Ximian folks about their package : )

> Our GNOME packages are compatible with RedHat package at the binary
> level.. They have never been supposed to be compatible at the source
> level.. Same thing between distro version : an old distro package should
> compile on a newer distro...

An old package should install on a newer distro as well, easy and clean,
IMHO

> > Old packages? I'm only concerned with 8.2 and Ximian compatibility.
> > The way the spec file is now (requires and provides) makes xmms
> > incompatible... Of course you can always simply do a rpm -b$1 --nodeps
> > xmms.spec, but that breaks the "cleanliness" of interruptibility between
> > the two distributions of GNOME (mdk's implementation and ximian's
> > distro).
>
> Yes, I continue to say old package.. Ximian is still 8.1 only compatible
> so when you said you want "Ximian compatibility", in fact, you ask for
> 8.1 compatibility..

Actually, no. Cooker is pretty damn compatible with Ximian GNOME for 8.1
mdk. I won't go into why, however.

But pretty much, just to let everyone who is interested, Ximian rpms for
8.1 installed on this cooker machine without a hitch (except for a
--nodeps on concerns with conflicts from libpng3). Just needs to be
rebuilt against libpng3, imlib2, and libxml2.
So I was pretty impressed by this.

> GNOME dependencies/requires/provides are correct in cooker..
>
> If you have a problem with xmms, see with xmms maintainer.. There is
> nothing wrong with GNOME packages..

When xmms depends on various GNOME libs, this makes no sense.
And to be honest, I don't use mdk's GNOME packages, for reasons which I
will not go into (yet again).
I just want a good percentage of users to have the best experience
possible with foo.

> For me, there has never been a debate on that, so I won't post any
> more message on this topic.. I prefer to concentrate my time on fixing
> GNOME..

Indeed, useless chatter this has evolved into...

Tashi Delek

--
Bryan Paxton
Public PGP key: http://www.deadhorse.net/bpaxton.gpg

"Heedfulness: the path to the Deathless.
Heedlessness: the path to death.
The heedful do not die.
The heedless are as if already dead." -- Dhp. 21-24